Re: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)

Subject: Re: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 15:29:38 -0700

Pro TechWriter wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> The STC sent me a link to a on 5/22 survey that had questions about:
>
> 1. Definition of "technical communicator"
> 2. Salary survey and general availability

It includes the following:
-------------------------------------
In 2007, STC created a Technical Communication Body of Knowledge task
force to begin the long-term project of defining the profession of
technical communication. The work of this important task force will be
used in our public relations efforts to develop a value statement of the
profession that resonates with employers so that practitioners can gain
credit and professional acclaim for their contributions.

The work of the task force will also be used to develop educational
programs and to encourage research and publications on the domains of
technical communication. It will also be helpful in Board-level
discussions about the possibility of developing generalized or
sub-specialty certifications that help employers understand the value of
technical communication and be willing to pay higher salaries.

As the work is refined, the task force will define stages in the career
of a technical communicator from entry level to the top level. This
information then can be turned into a usable, global, salary survey of
employers to have a statistically valid, database on the field.
Technical Communication isn't a job title, it isn't a career.
It is a field, within which falls tech writing, instructional design
(maybe), lots of other things previously discussed.

IMNSHO

Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen