Re: Will I be employable?

Subject: Re: Will I be employable?
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Jennifer Williams <jewilliams1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 16:51:59 -0400

I spent 30+ years in the software development side of the business as
tech writer and manager etc. almost all of it in the Boston area. It was
interesting and challenging work, it paid very well, and I was never out
of a job for more than a couple of weeks. If you work for a company that
develops software, they'll probably want you to work on site; that sort
of stuff is pretty hard to outsource. (If someone disagrees with this,
please send the work to me - I'm onshore in the wilds of Vermont - no
time zone changes, no language problems!)

A few years ago I moved to Vermont where there is little to no high-tech
industry. With my experience in developing web-based technical
documentation, I was able to get a job as a web producer for a major
hospital.

Moral of the story: a seasoned technical communicator (all bases covered
on the job title thing) can pretty much always find something to do. Our
stock in trade is learning new "stuff" and conveying it from one set of
minds to another. Experience in various forms of communication - web
based, marketing communications, etc. - will always stand you in good stead.

Good luck!

My 2¢,

John Garison

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList