RE: Usability - any experiences or processes to share?

Subject: RE: Usability - any experiences or processes to share?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:18:42 -0400

Sean Brierley asked (about airline seat design):

> Is that why, when the guy in front of me reclines his chair, I cannot
> use my tray table for 5 hours?

At the first sign of reclining, I just brace my knees against the back
of his seat. His seatback barely moves. I'm only medium height (6 ft),
but legs don't need to be excessively long to touch the seat ahead, in
most commercial liners. Once the seatback starts to recline, legs are
right there, and need to ... um.... assert themselves.

If he persists, or if he catches me unaware and gets it to actually
recline, then I just cross and re-cross my legs, repeatedly.......
relentlessly. And with a weight on my knees (and even a locking
mechanism to fight against), you can bet that each movement is abrupt
and jerky. Sorta like a soccer player knee-dribbling a ball.
Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa. Apparently it doesn't take much force to flex
those seatbacks.
When that gets tiring, I find some music (even if it's only in my head)
with a good, bouncy beat. You know... toe-tappin' music.

After all, I can't afford to get all stiff or even possibly contract
deep-vein thrombosis.

Also, I really do have allergies, and those sneezes need to go
somewhere.
Then, of course, I have to blow my nose. Loudly. Vigorously.
Enthusiastically, even.

I can't recall the last time I had a problem with somebody reclining
into my lap for more than a few seconds.

Of course, if the culprit is a frazzled-looking woman, possibly holding
a baby she's just finally gotten to sleep... then I barely twitch. Do
not disturb. Shhh.

Truth to tell, someone who asks first and who is willing to compromise
on seat position is likely to get some accommodation and compromise from
me. That's one of those situations where it isn't better to ask
forgiveness than permission. Presume all you like, but not into "my"
space.

Ahem.
Oh, was that a rant?
Heavens. How did that come about?