RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technical writer?

Subject: RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technical writer?
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:21:59 -0400

So, was the proposed definition created by a technical writer or
technical writers, or not?

Is the director of communications a technical writer by trade?

The use of assure in this definition is not mainstream. Ensure would be
better, as you observe. Casual practitioners of the language might not
have the interest to see or understand the difference.

It bothers me, now, that assure is used and that a serial comma is not.
However, in my experience and generalizing from specific experiences,
STC staff are less open to discussion and changing their opinion on such
things than they should be. After all, this director of communications
has been using English since the first grade, right? If you can, get
some elected STC board members to take your position and, failing that,
I'd let it go as the battle is probably not worth the aggravation.
Besides, the whole definition needs a rewrite .... LOL!

Anyway, we all should use a serial comma because it can be useful in
clarifying text and never causes confusion. Leaving out the serial comma
can cause text to be less clear--my spin on the popular example is this:
"For this award, I'd like to thank my parents, George Bush and God."
Hehe.

Cheers,

Sean