Re: Personality types and motivators in the biz (was RE: STC Philadelphia conference sessions

Subject: Re: Personality types and motivators in the biz (was RE: STC Philadelphia conference sessions
From: jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:35:38 -0400

The people who see great value in the STC conference are those who see great value in its opportunities to network.

The points below (extracted from John's list) can be interpreted as "meeting new people" or,
in a more businesslike phrasing, as "opportunities to network." For people like myself, there
is little or no distinction between those two phrases.
If one quibbles that some of these points do not require socializing, then we are back to the
premise that one might as well stay home at the computer keyboard.
Technical communication is a niche that allows us to focus on precise (dare I say "cold"?)
language and graphics while minimizing the squishy interpersonal stuff with all its
non-verbal cues. (Not eliminating it, but minimizing it.)

Jim