RE: Define technical communicator's job

Subject: RE: Define technical communicator's job
From: John Hedtke <john -at- hedtke -dot- com>
To: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>, "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:20:01 -0700

I had a moment where I wanted to clear my head after finishing an
appendix, so let me add a few kopeks.

I'd earlier suggested offlist to Sean that his original "technical
goods" was not an appropriately inclusive direct object that didn't
adequately include cake mixes, cat litter, tampons, or shampoo. We
can hold on to those as shibboleths to be thrown at our definitions
and see how they fit.

The question that I have for this new definition is "Is it too
broad?" (We are going to have that problem, definitely, considering
the breadth we're trying to cover.) The thing that I'm not seeing in
this definition, which I think I like better fwiw, may be a clause
that says what we create the communication FOR... but I'm not sure
that we can say that effectively. What does the group think?

John

At 01:27 PM 5/22/2008, Sean Brierley wrote:
>A technical communicator creates communication that is clear, concise,
>comprehensive, accurate, correct, accessible, accurate, and
>professional, using a variety of methods, tools, and technologies, that
>can include writing, illustration, photography, video, and sound, for a
>variety of static and dynamic deliverables, including print media and
>online media.
>
>What about that?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Sean

Yours truly,

John Hedtke
Author/Consultant/Contract Writer
www.hedtke.com <-- website
Region 7 Director, STC
541-685-5000 (office landline)
541-554-2189 (cell)
john -at- hedtke -dot- com (primary email)
johnhedtke -at- aol -dot- com (secondary email)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList