RE: Wiki for internal documentation

Subject: RE: Wiki for internal documentation
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Stephen Arrants" <steve -at- mbfbioscience -dot- com>, "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:57:45 -0400

> > Have any of you implemented something like this internally? Which
> > product did you use and why?
> >

> We used to use a plain vanilla wiki, but it was difficult for some staff
> to learn how to use, edit, etc. We switched to Mindtouch Deki Wiki, which
> comes with a friendlier interface, easier editing tools, and templates
> that help organize things. We use it internally for the entire company.
> Each functional group has a set of group pages where information is
> posted. The software allows everything on your bulleted list.
>
> The biggest complaint (other than the editing tools) with our former wiki
> software was too many file collisions when more than one person was trying
> to update a page. Deki Wiki is more forgiving about this.
>
> I'm not wildly ecstatic about using a wiki--I prefer email and face-to-
> face, but it does keep information centralized and available.
> Steve Arrants   steve -at- mbfbioscience -dot- com

Wow! Everything interests me today. :-)

I'm fine with either Wiki or e-mail, but I would want a solution to deal with the situation that often occurs in e-mail.

A discussion starts between a couple of people.
A thread happens.
People are added to the address-list, for this-or-that reason.
Eventually, I get added to the list.
Now I know everything that happened in that thread, and can decide how to act upon it...

WHOOPS!
At a couple of points in the history of the thread, branches occurred.
It turns out that I'm seeing only one branch where somebody thought to include me.
Only the people who were the earliest members of the distribution list have all the branches, and know all that was said, but they can easily overlook that fact and assume that everybody is as aware as they are of all discussion that has occurred.

E-mail preserves the history, but not everybody sees it all.
A wiki preserves however much of history for a page/article you tell it to preserve.

Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList