Tech Writer Lawsuit - follow up?

Subject: Tech Writer Lawsuit - follow up?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:40:34 -0400

Dan Goldstein responded to the phrase "... STC is still developing
the messages for the Telling Our Powerful Story campaign...": <<My
Corporate-Speak Canary (CSC) is wheezing already.>>

I confess to the same reaction: I've suffered through several "let's
derive a mission statement" sessions, and they've usually been an
enormous waste of time. Even more so when a treacly title like this
one is given to the exercise. In my experience, mission statements
are an egregious waste of time unless they reflect how people are
already working, or unless the organization reinvents its processes
to support the mission. That rarely happens.

In STC's case, I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. I
know most of the people involved, and have a great deal of confidence
in their smarts, willingness to work hard, and good intentions. STC
is going through a major revolution in how it works in which they're
overturning 50-some years of creeping atherosclerosis. That kind of
institutional history doesn't change overnight, particularly when a
group is as understaffed as STC is, but I'm confident that things are
changing in the right direction.

Not as fast as I'd like and not always in the directions I'd like...
but that's easy for me to say, not being part of the team that's
driving the changes.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

Print version: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1505747

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList