Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit; STC position? (take II)

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit; STC position? (take II)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Donald H. White" <dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com>, "'techwr-l List'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:31:10 -0700

Well, that's the point. If you're a W2, the moment an
employer "expects/requires/demands" that you work
extra hours, you're not the one who's exercising the
judgement that you need to do it, and you're now an
hourly worker entitled to OT pay. If you're an exempt
professional employee, your employer can only
"expect/require/demand" that you accomplish the
goals of your job, and it's up to you to decide whether
to work extra hours to do it, or to devise an alternative
method of doing it that eliminates the need for the
extra hours, because professionals are paid to apply
knowledge to solve problems and accomplish goals,
not for their time worked.

If you don't have the leeway in your position to make
your own decisions about extra hours worked or to
make changes in your work methods, then you're not
a professional employee and you should be an hourly
nonexempt.

Gene Kim-Eng