Word - Disappearing Acrobat toolbar (again) - but worse than usual

Subject: Word - Disappearing Acrobat toolbar (again) - but worse than usual
From: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Avraham Makeler" <avrahamm -at- voltaire -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:53:26 +0200

Posted for our company, on behalf of Avraham.

Hi all,

Here is a problem that appears quite often on this list, but this time the
symptoms seem to be worse than "usual".

We are using Word 2003 and we have a problem with losing the Adobe Acrobat
functionality.

I know in general what is causing it: it's an in-house Word template that I
have created a number of months ago and have been adding to ever since, in
particular, adding more and more styles to the style menus.

During all this time we have had no problem in running Acrobat -- until the
past week, as far as I remember.

Now, the first time the template is loaded the Acrobat controls
disappear: the toolbar, the Adobe menu, the Adobe .dot file(s) in the
Add-ins pane (I remember these used to exist), and the Acrobat macros that
used to be in the Macros list (which usually provide the solution to the
missing Acrobat problem - as known from this forum). Even when Word is
opened without the custom template, the Acrobat functionality is still not
available.

(However, I note that I also have the JAWS PDF creator and its menu remains
ok.)

HelpDesk came over and found that the only way to restore the Acrobat menus
was to reinitialize the user account, i.e., to delete it and then recreate
it. (I.e., even reinstalling Acrobat did not help.)

HelpDesk told me that's it's going to be difficult to debug this problem due
to the lack of robustness of the whole Add-in mechanism -- which Word uses
to connect to external products such as Acrobat; so when things work, they
work, and when they don't they don't - which doesn't help much. Funny though
that the problem is always with the Acrobat and not with any other Add-in.

So I need to know:

1) An easier fix than getting HelpDesk to reinitialize the user account

2) The feature of the custom template that is causing Acrobat to
completely disappear

Tia,

avraham

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList