Re: old school

Subject: Re: old school
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:40:55 -0400

Responding to a mish-mash of comments in the thread ...

I still have some old Boardwatch magazines ... the ones with BillGatus
of Borg on the cover, and the one with Vint Cerf and his infamous " IP
on Everything" t-shirt. They make for fun reading. Of only slightly more
recent vintage, I just came across my multi-generation Xerox copy of
"Zen and the Art of the Internet" ... Remember Archie?

When I started using AOL in '89, it had a GEM graphical UI that ran on
DOS prior to the advent of Windows. My AOL ID was (I think, it's been a
good long while since I managed to get them to finally stop billing me
...) JPG3 -at- aol -dot- com -dot-

I have a old hard drive platter downstairs ... a 5-meg drive IIRC. It's
about 18" across and made of aluminum. Has the pitted marks of a head
crash, too. I recall when I was at DEC and we were moving to a new
facility that one of the security guards stopped me trying to carry out
an 8-layer disk pack that had the RSTS/E operating system source code on
it. "Don't worry, it's only software!" I told him. "Oh, OK" he said and
let me take it out without a security pass.

I used to lead the team that documented Wang OIS and WP systems. I
remember Glossaries well. When I inherited the docs, they made you read
through 5 or 6 pages (and about 33 steps) of how to record a macro.
Then, at the very end, they told you "Or you can just press F16 and then
do the actions you want to record." One of the first things I did was
move that to the beginning ...

And anyone who had car decks they needed learned early on to take a
magic marker and draw a diagonal line across the top of the deck ...
made getting the cards back into order a little easier than reading the
sequence numbers.

Yr ob't crusty old curmudgeon,

John G

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList