Re: Do TWs need to be formally educated in engineering and science? was, RE: old school

Subject: Re: Do TWs need to be formally educated in engineering and science? was, RE: old school
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:44:30 -0700

BTW, I do think this is happening, but it doesn't necessarily signal
any great change in thinking about technical writing. It's simply
that the industries that provided the largest number of opportunities
to writers without engineering or science backgrounds have taken
some major hits in the post-dotcom years, while industries that
require this kind of background - which didn't see anywhere near
the growth in writer jobs that software, internet and other "glamour"
industries of the 90's did and just sort of lumbered on unchanged
except for the need to compete against the dotcoms for warm
bodies - now represent a larger portion of the surviving employers.
The dotcom era was the "new paradigm" for technical writing, and
now that it's done in many places the old one has just come back.

Gene Kim-Eng