Re: Resizing screen captures in Frame

Subject: Re: Resizing screen captures in Frame
From: "Cheryl Dwyer" <dwyercl2 -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:47:21 -0400

Tully Machtynger said:
"I'm new to Frame so apologies for the ignorance, but: please tell me there
is an easy way to size an image inserted into an anchored frame to the size
of the frame?

"I've read info here about DPI and percentage adjustments, and I appreciate
the requirement to adjust based on the output type?

"but if I can shrinkwrap an anchored frame to an image, why can I not do the
reverse?

"Am I missing something obvious? Any help would be much appreciated :)"

I'm not sure this is and easily accomplished feat; more trial-and-error with the DPI settings... unless there is a FrameScript to do this that I'm aware of. The main problem arises with the fact that in order to display a graphic properly, you must retain the aspect ratio.

When you import a graphic file into FrameMaker (File>Import>File)...
1. You (hopefully) keep the default to "Import By Reference" in the Import file chooser dialog box.
2. Navigate to and select which graphic file you want to import.
3. When you click the "Replace" button to import the graphic file, the Imported Graphic Scaling dialog box displays and the first selection is "Fit in Selected Rectangle"...
4. This means you must first draw a rectangle using the Graphics>Tools selector for a rectangle; but even when you import into this rectangle, the graphic you are importing retains its aspect ratio, so it will conform to the smallest size (length or width) allowable to display the graphic properly. But you have no anchored frame...
5. So, to fit it into an anchored frame, you would (instead of drawing the rectangle) need to select the DPI in the Graphic Scaling dialog box and the anchored frame will automatically be fitted around your graphic at the DPI you choose... the smaller the DPI, the larger your graphic will display. (That is, a graphic file displayed at 150 dpi is twice as large as one displayed at 300 dpi.)

For more information, check the FrameMaker help files on the topic "Using the Import command to import graphics"... hope this helps!

Cheryl Dwyer

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList