RE: Tech Writer Lawsuit

Subject: RE: Tech Writer Lawsuit
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 12:11:44 -0400

You're kidding, right?

"No one FORCED these people to work overtime - they could always quit
and go get a job that did pay overtime"

Some employers do force you to do the overtime without pay, and your
alternative is to quit. Having a family in America and quitting your job
and having no health insurance is a great idea. Yes, there's plenty an
employee can do when forced to work overtime. I'm sure the tech writer
would love getting the service job ... fries with that oil change?

Are employers always wrong? No. Are employers always right? No.

I took a job with an employer once, at the interview confirmed the usual
40 hours a week plus around deadline time, it gets a little intense and
overtime is infrequently needed. After getting the job, and doing my job
well, accurately, meeting deadlines, meeting or exceeding requirements,
I find that they want to see me in the office doing overtime on evenings
and weekends without pay and without work that justifies it ... because
some of the other employees are. Well ... what about time with my
family? Why, if my job is being done well and I am meeting deadlines
without working overtime? Well, the answer is because that's what they
expect. So, should I have quit, got stuck with no health insurance or
costly short-lived COBRA and a job at McDonalds?

Cheers.