RE: MS Word Text Form Fields

Subject: RE: MS Word Text Form Fields
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, chrismorton11 -at- gmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 21:02:04 -0700 (PDT)

The fields do have to be locked before the Tab or
arrow keys can be used to navigate between the fields.
As long as they're unlocked, you can edit the fields
but they don't work as form elements.

Like so many other things in Word, there's at least
two ways to lock or unlock these fields. Both of them
also prevent others from editing the document. If you
open the Tools menu and select "Protect Document,"
Word opens the "Protect Document" pane - refer to the
attached graphic. That pane allows you to set the
document so that users can fill in forms. If you then
set a password on the document, the fields will then
work as form elements.

Unfortunately, the action of the padlock icon on the
toolbar is NOT fully compatible with the action of the
password protection applied through the Tools menu. If
you use the padlock icon to lock the fields, you can
unlock the fields by clicking Tools > Unprotect
Document. However, it doesn't work the same in
reverse. If you set the password by using the Tools
menu and then click the padlock icon, Word displays a
dialog box and prompts you to enter the password. So,
if someone locks the fields by using the Tools menu,
and a second person tries to unlock them using the
padlock icon, the second user will not be able to edit
the document until the password is entered.

Which way to lock the document depends on the
situation. If you use the padlock icon on the Forms
toolbar, you don't have to worry about forgetting the
password. But, if you lock by using the padlock icon,
anyone who knows how to open the toolbar can unlock
the document and edit it. There may be situations when
you need to use the password to keep unauthorized
people from editing the file.

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/klhra%40yahoo.com