Re: TC vs TW

Subject: Re: TC vs TW
From: Steven Jong <SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 12:58:14 -0400

I've been following this thread with great interest. Someone wrote
that he didn't want anyone advocating on his behalf, and would be
upset if he found out some organization was doing it. My first
reaction was "speak for yourself--I welcome the help!", but I can
understand where he was coming from. We are our own best advocates;
and an organization that helped get its members jobs would be a union.
I don't object on principle to unions, but we don't have one, and STC
is not, and I don't think plans to become, a union.

I agree with those who say they've earned respect wherever they've
been hired. On behalf of all of us, thank you! A company, once it
recognizes our value, wants to hire more of us. But I have a question:
How do you earn respect at a place where you *haven't* been hired?
Sounds like a silly question, but I have a thought on the matter.

Whether an individual earns respect or not, just as whether an
individual succeeds or not, is up to the individual. But you need to
have the opportunity. First the req, then respect...! And that is
something I think STC could positively influence. By telling the
powerful story of the value of technical communication (and yes, I
come down on that side of the title debate), we can help convince
potential employers that they would benefit from hiring practitioners,
thereby creating more employment opportunities for individuals.

I believe in our value--I always have--so I think the world would be a
better place if more of us were doing our thing. And, of course, it
would benefit our members if there were more jobs, because we're top-
notch people...! But ultimately, it's up to you to demonstrate your
individual worth and get that job. Good luck!

-- Steve

Steven Jong
STC Director at Large
dirsj -at- stc -dot- org, 978-413-2553 [C]

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList