Re: Can I Get Your Input Please

Subject: Re: Can I Get Your Input Please
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Kevin McGowan <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 11:13:08 -0700

Kevin McGowan wrote:
> Wow...that manager certainy does sound like a tool. did you have any previous indication that he/she was this type of person? Fact is, if there was any problems with your work, they would have mentioned it earlier in your 14-month tenure, or they would have shown you the door ages ago.
>
> I've seen this kind of behavior myself in previous jobs, in the same scenario. Your manager is immature and taking this somehow very personally, IMO.

Me too. I think it made mine worry that it would reflect badly on the
ol' management skills. like out of control, so they try to recover by
using whatever power they think they're supposed to have, like
performance evaluations. It is a personality defect, a serious deviation
from the proper relationship. It only gets worse, in my limited
experience. Conventional wisdom is to just move on and not try to
resolve it. Damage control is that important to a contracxtor.

Why? That's a tough one requiring fine-tuned empathy--maybe manager
feels the writer has taken advantage of generous efforts to develop
writer as a good fit for the current position. You know, "After all I've
done for you, ..."

Maybe writer reminds manager of someone. Maybe manager is just an
aggressive, punitive-minded dickhead who will hound writer until the
grudge is finally forgotten.

Contracting is dangerous--we're constantly exposed to managers of
unknown quality, and to potential trouble like the OP describes. Best
defense is open-minded independence--accept the work that seems OK, keep
commitments light (short term) until you're sure, be aware of the damage
a manager can do to your reputation, don't assume you have any recourse
within the company, and most of all, be sure to show appreciations to
the gods that keep this kind of thing under control as much as they do.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList