Re: Can I Get Your Input Please

Subject: Re: Can I Get Your Input Please
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:47:30 -0700

This is my first impression as well from the situation
as described. The current manager is feeling personally
slighted because the poster did not inform him of his
interest in the other position.

What you normally want to do in a situation where you're
contracting and have an interest in another position in
the company is get some private time with your current
manager, review any conversations you've had about
possible direct positions with the company and mention
that if your current position isn't likely to develop into a
direct hire you are considering putting yourself in as
a candidate for the other. This gives your current
manager a last chance to try to hire you, or to at least
bless your intent and provide you with an internal
reference.

Unfortunately, the manager in this case has reacted to
the contractor's faux pas in a decidedly unprofessional
manner. There really is no way to do "damage control"
or smooth the ruffled feathers of someone who allows
personal feelings of affront to color his management
of his employees. Unless this person already has a
reputation within the company for this sort of behavior
and the manager of the other position is prepared to
tell the current one to go pound salt, I would consider
the chances of getting the new position or retaining the
current one to be irrevocably poisoned. The best way
to proceed is to sever your involvement with this company
in the quickest and most professional way that you can.
>From here things can only get worse if you stay.

Gene Kim-Eng