RE: Software Writers, ACM -WAS- Definition of Tech Writer

Subject: RE: Software Writers, ACM -WAS- Definition of Tech Writer
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 12:13:12 -0400

I used to single source context sensitive online help in a .NET and Java
environment plus printed using press for hardcover perfect-bound user
manuals. I have worked creating online PDFs plus context-sensitive
online help with no printed output.

For what I was doing with software, the STC wasn't a great resource,
though I was a member and a chapter officer. Some concepts, such as the
fact that you can print color images using one ink were misunderstood at
the society level, and the understanding of structured workflows was, at
that time, maybe not now, secondary to ad-hoc, traditional,
formatting-based content.

Currently, I write mostly hardware documentation. And do some Website
design. And some four-color artwork for press.

For what I am doing now, the STC provides more information and
understanding of communication about hardware, but not so much about
using color in print and online work. And, I've figured out the hardware
documentation to a degree that the STC seems to offer nothing ahead of
my learning curve.

Cheers.