RE: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: RE: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Bonnie Granat'" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 23:46:14 -0700

> From: Bonnie Granat

> Lauren seems to view technical writing as writing about
> technology only;

Where did you get this impression? My view is that technical writing is not
related to technology but to the documentation of functions, specifications,
procedures, and other technical, or specialized, aspects of the
subject-matter. I am not certain how you came to the conclusion that I
think technical writing is limited to technology. I have never held the
view that technical writing was limited to technology.

> others see technical writing in the traditional way as being
> the umbrella
> under which all specialized writing occurs.

Technical writing is specialized writing, hence the name "technical."
Business writing is non-technical, as in general, writing for business, such
as analytical, marketing, and research writing.

If all specialized writing is technical writing, then what do you call
general writing for business? General business writing or writing that
covers a broad, rather than specific area cannot be both specialized
(specific) and general (broad), however, both types of writing exist in
business.

Also, I certainly do not think that specialized writing implies that writing
is technical writing because the author specializes in professional writing.
I think that technical writing is specialized because the writing is focused
on a specialized subject. There is business writing that is not focused on
a specialized subject but is more general, like financial summaries that
really do not get into specifics but present a broad financial view of a
company. How can this type of writing be non-specialized, but still be
called technical?

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList