RE: RE:classification -- was definition. . .

Subject: RE: RE:classification -- was definition. . .
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 13:43:02 -0700

You've gotten me wondering about my use of "synthetic". I used it in the
sense of "in contrast to analytic". However, I think my usage might be
redundant as any categories we create are bound to be synthetic. I think
I would have done better to say, "We should not use the same categories
to define roles/title as we do to identify different types of writing."

On the other hand (and "synthetic" aside), we call Shakespeare a "poet"
and "playwright" and Stephen King a "novelist". Their titles are derived
from what they produced. However, we have a clear and distinct idea of
what comprises poetry, play, and novel and how they are different from
one another. Not so with marketing writing, business writing, and
technical writing.

Leonard C. Porrello (who is compelled to argue against himself since no
one else has)