Re: What about Technical Writer vs Communicator?

Subject: Re: What about Technical Writer vs Communicator?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 12:43:43 -0700

Perhaps it's a generational thing. I keep hearing from a
lot of people I might describe as "young whippersnappers"
the idea that the delivery method somehow defines the
"communications," while us "old pharts" see things like
graphics and multimedia as ways to "deliver writing."
So some might see a person who can author text, draw
graphics and program multimedia as a "communicator,"
while I would see that person as a much more talented
than average writer who has kept pace with new tools
and methods of delivery (I don't hire people who can draw
graphics and/or program multimedia but who can't write).
The title at the top of the resume tells me little about you
except how you self-identify, and possibly how your
interpretation of your work compares to mine - which
might or might not be factors in a hiring decision.

Now, here's the conundrum for anyone revising their
resume: is it better to list the totality of your skills in a
resume titled "communicator," at the risk of possibly
deemphasizing the fact that you are a great writer and
hope that the resume will be received by someone who
"gets" this new paradigm in the same way you do, or
to add all the additional skills to a resume titled
"technical writer" because the hiring manager is
more likely to be one of us "old pharts?"

Gene Kim-Eng