Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 16:34:18 -0700

No, if you have a driver's license it doesn't automatically mean
you can just take an Indy car out. Someone with years of
experience racing Indy cars can't just jump behind the controls
of a combine harvester or the NASA Crawler, either. But it's
all still "driving."

The distinction being described here is merely the difference
between two highly specialized forms of very technical writing.
No, I wouldn't argue that anyone with experience as a "technical
writer" can easily make a jump to writing business or finance
documentation or vice versa, but there are any number of types
of science, engineering, medical, etc., writing that also require
highly specialized knowledge and backgrounds to work at their
most advanced levels as well.

What I see happening in this discussion is that there are a lot
of people here who seem to believe that technical writers can
easily jump from any "technical" subject to any other, so any
subject that is sufficiently different from what they do, have
done or can do that they can't make that easy jump must not
be "technical writing" simply because they can't do it.

Gene Kim-Eng