Re: STC is broken

Subject: Re: STC is broken
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:13:06 -0400

I wouldn't call all game developers "technical communicators", but I
sure as shooting think every game company should employ at least 1
technical communicator to carry out duties related to interface
consultation, story consultation, usability, and a host of other things
that relate to users being able to play and enjoy the game. I have been
so frustrated with games such as Vanguard and EQ2 because there is such
a complete lack of user support built into those games. This is fodder
for a whole other thread, but game developers who care about technical
communication issues are definitely needed and can be considered
technical communicators. But not every game developer needs to be
trained in technical communication (though it wouldn't hurt them a bit).
:-)

Thee are a lot of people out there who perform technical communication
functions without having the title. Wouldn't it be nice if there was
enough awareness about those functions that the profession and the
Society got the credit?
--Beth (70 combat rogue on WoW)