Re: STC is broken

Subject: Re: STC is broken
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: Michael West <WestM -at- conwag -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:33:10 -0400

Thanks, Mike. Rather than just a communications forum or a social
organization, I'd like to see the STC do for us something along the
lines of what the International Association of Business Communicators
(IABC) and the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) do for their
members. While I have never felt unrecognized nor unappreciated in any
of the jobs I've had either, I have certainly encountered employers and
clients who did not fully understand my skills nor what I could do for
their organization. Our professional society needs to be better at
public relations itself, as well as advocacy and outreach. I believe
that's its stated mandate; it just hasn't been doing a very good job of
achieving it.

Every time there's a news item about poor documentation causing a
problem, the STC should be out there saying "You know, if you'd had a
technical communicator involved in that, it probably wouldn't have
happened. Here's why..." We're great at giving awards to our own
members, but we should be making awards to big name companies that get
technical communication right -- and leveraging that publicity value.

When people go to create a website, shouldn't a content professional
(i.e., a technical communicator) be the person who springs to mind as
the right resource to head that project, rather than a graphic designer
(artist) or web developer (programmer)? Instead, I'm frequently called
last, to copy edit content that a web design firm (which employs no
techwriters) has stuffed into a beautiful but unusable design. And when
I start asking the client questions such as who is the audience, what
are you trying to achieve with the site, what action do you want
visitors to take when they come to your site -- all questions the web
developers never raised -- and then I have to tell the client that
neither the design nor the content work for what they're trying to do,
well, that's when the screaming starts. Simply because they've never
heard of the existence of professionals who specialize in shaping
information to meet the needs of the user, no matter what the medium.

Yes, we need to establish our own credibility with our clients and
employers, but we also need a professional organization that backs us up
and gets the word out about all the many places we can add value.
--Beth

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList