RE: Samples vs. Portfolio

Subject: RE: Samples vs. Portfolio
From: <WilliamFLawrence -at- eaton -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:17:27 -0400

I ran into this when I was trying to hire writers to help document a
software application created for the military. All of the contractors
that I interviewed couldn't show me any samples. It was maddening. I
ended up hiring some local folks with no military contract experience
because I just couldn't bring myself to hire writers without seeing
their work.

Karen: I think you're on the right track in creating something that you
can show. In addition to writing a manual about your silent auction
software, you could do a couple of other things:

1) Volunteer to create some documentation for an open source
application. This is pro bono work, but is certainly something you can
show.

2) O'Reilly Publishing has a series of short (50 to 75 pages) ebooks
called "Short Cuts." The deal with these is that you get a percentage
of sales via download. You might not make any money at writing one of
these, but then again, you might. I've done a couple of these for them.
Take a look at the set of titles on their site and then send them a
proposal or two for something you might like to write about. These are
not only something you show, but have the added luster of having the
O'Reilly logo attached.

Cheers,

Bill

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList