RE: Microsoft Word - Enlish and French dictionaries in the samedocument

Subject: RE: Microsoft Word - Enlish and French dictionaries in the samedocument
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:54:06 -0600

Julie Stickler

> I guess they must have been, because clearing the formatting
> did the trick! I didn't even know you could tie a dictionary
> to a style.
> Huh. Microsoft continues to amaze/amuse me.

The ability to specify a language for a style has been there for quite a
long time. I'm pretty sure I used it in Word 6/95.

In Word 2003, in the Modify Style dialog, clicking Format > Language
displays a dizzying number of languages you can assign to a style (16
versions of Arabic alone). The ones for which you have dictionaries
installed are marked. For me, it's only English, French, and Spanish --
but I don't know if that's a default install or the choices made by our
IT dept. Of course, you can install more dictionaries if you need them.

You can also select "Do not check spelling or grammar," which is really
handy for the pgf and char styles that you use for code. Eliminates a
lot of squiggly lines. :-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs