RE: How do you define your audience/"user requirements" in your docs, to the reader?

Subject: RE: How do you define your audience/"user requirements" in your docs, to the reader?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <WestM -at- conwag -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:02:09 -0700

In consideration of those who are sick of this thread, this post has two
parts. The first part carries the discussion forward, denying that
considerations of metacognitive competence are merely a distraction. The
second part is forensic, restating my original question and explicating
the meaning of some of the punctuation conventions I used in that
question.

PART 1: Regarding the tech writers need to assess users' relative level
of metacognitive competence

If you have no idea of your readers' relative level of metacognitive
competence (call it what you will), I don't see how you can write
effective user documentation. I agree; a technical writer has to focus
on helping users "do what they need to do." To do this effectively,
however, a technical writer needs to understand how users see themselves
as well as how accurate that self-perception is (i.e., relative level of
metacognitive competence). My advice to you, in any case, is that you
get a clear idea of your users' strengths and limitations.

PART 2: A restatement of my original question and an explication of the
meaning of the punctuation conventions I used in that question; Or,
beating a dead horse

You've taken part of what I said out of context. Here again is my
original statement (with a few words added to make explicit, albeit
redundant, what I thought implicit): "I was wondering how to deal with
the challenge of defining my target audience explicitly--in my docs, to
the reader. I have hardware and software requirements [sections "in my
docs"], but I do not have [a] 'user requirements' [section "in my
docs"], nor do I have a clear idea of how to define my target user--to
the reader."

Please note my use of double hyphens and scare quotes. In English prose,
technical or otherwise, the em dash (or two hyphens in this case)
normally indicates a parenthetical statement to which the author wants
to lend emphasis. Scare quotes, as I used around "user requirements",
indicate a phrase is being used atypically. It was obvious to me (and,
judging by responses, most others who posted a reply) that I intended
"user requirements" in the context of what came before and after the
phrase. I never said or implied that I did not understand my audience.

Leonard C. Porrello