Re: Please describe value of Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Please describe value of Information Mapping
From: "Yves Barbion" <yves -dot- barbion -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Tim Mantyla" <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:45:50 +0200

Hi Tim,

see my answers below.

--
Yves Barbion
Documentation Architect
Scripto
Belgium

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Tim Mantyla <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com> wrote:

> I often read, on this list and others, about someone "information mapping"
> a project. I would like to hear from you how well this method and software
> work, with any details you find important.
>
> I've looked at the company website and read the examples at
> http://www.informationmapping.com/index.cfm/TheMethod/Demos
> They're impressive.

alternative which has some of its roots in Information Mapping and which is
even more impressive:

- http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DITA
- http://www.ditainfocenter.com/
- http://dita.xml.org/

> Can it be learned and done without the software?

because the software supports tech writing mechanisms which are definite
no-nos.

> If so, how and where?

want to check the DITA web sites, particularly http://dita.xml.org/services

Information Mapping is a proprietary method, owned by Information Mapping
Inc. DITA on the other hand, is an open-source standard, defined, maintained
and promoted by OASIS, the not-for-profit standards consortium.

> What applications is it suited for?

environment. Because of its open-source nature, DITA is supported by all the
major authoring tools (FrameMaker, XMetal, Arbortext Editor, Syntext Serna,
...) and content management systems.

> Can you use images with it?

graphics.

> How expensive is it, and does it justify or pay back its cost?

information about DITA (webinars, presentations, white papers, DITA
language specification, ...) is FREE because it's open source. And DITA even
has a FREE Open Toolkit, a java-based publishing engine which allows you to
publish your DITA content in a wide variety of "output target", for example
PDF, HTMLHelp, EclipseHelp, JavaHelp etc.

> What's the learning curve for using it?

documents. A two-day course and some exercises afterwards give you a good
start, both with DITA and InfoMapping. DITA is HUGE, but you can get started
quite fast and then "mature" in the content model. You can google for "DITA
maturity model" and you will find a white paper, written by Michael
Priestley of IBM and Amber Swope of JustSystems.

> Any prerequisites to understanding and grasping it?

Any other pertinent comments?