Re: active vs. passive voice

Subject: Re: active vs. passive voice
From: Mike Starr <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- datascope -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:16:04 -0500

Even though I'm in the minority (possibly even alone) in rejecting the
MMOS received wisdom, I avoid passive voice by using a phrase like:

"<product name> displays an Add User dialog box similar to the one shown
here."

From my perspective, it reads much better and is much easier for the
user to understand when I use this type of phrase. It also give me the
added benefit of eliminating captions and figure numbers.

However, I also believe it's important that all members of a team use
the same approach. Get together with your team, thrash it out and come
to an agreement on which approach to use. If there's a team lead, that
person should listen to all sides of the discussion with an open mind
and make a decision. Incorporate that decision into your corporate
documentation style guide and move on.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList