RE: active vs. passive voice

Subject: RE: active vs. passive voice
From: "Paul Kretschmer" <Paul -dot- Kretschmer -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: "Michelle Vina-Baltsas" <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- datascope -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:57:18 -0700

"is displayed" is passive voice, but I think there are times when the
passive voice is perfectly OK.

"XXX displays" is not standard English -- "display" is a transitive
verb; it requires an object. "The screen displays XXX" is OK.

We solved this problem by using "appears" -- it's active and
intransitive.

My 2 cents.

--
Paul Kretschmer | Technical Writer, Documentation
toll free 800.866.1124 x191 | local 805.699.2040 x191 | fax 805.699.2044