Re: Death knell for quality content?

Subject: Re: Death knell for quality content?
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:26:43 -0400

I think it's very much a "you get what you pay for" situation. Better
pay = better writing. As long as the market continues to accept poor
quality writing, purveyors will provide it at the lowest possible cost.
We're already victims of the sleeper effect -- you see enough bad
writing, you unconsciously start to write that way yourself and your
tolerance for what is "bad" lowers, unless you maintain constant
vigilance. There are few gatekeepers anymore. Those print editors who
tormented writers until the prose was perfect aren't around anymore.
Publishers who refused to sacrifice quality for revenue have been
eliminated by their corporate masters in favor of increased sales.

The gap between the truly literate, meaning those who have studied
literature enough to know what good writing looks like, and the
illiterate is widening. We're seeing this in our students whose text
messaging style permeates their academic essays.

I choose to believe that good writing and good communication will always
prevail, though fewer will be able to recognize it.
--Beth

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, Canada

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList