RE: Off-shoring of tech writing

Subject: RE: Off-shoring of tech writing
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Rahul Prabhakar" <prabhakar -dot- rahul -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:39:45 -0500

On Behalf Of Rahul Prabhakar
> Obviously, conference calls and emails can only go that far in an
offshore
> working model. Assigning a single point of contact *locally* doesn't
hurt
> IMHO.

I find that it does hurt.

If I'm not dealing directly with the person who needs to understand and
answer my questions, then there is extra delay incurred by having me
explain what I need to Mr-Point-of-Contact, have Mr-Point-of-Contact
explain to the SME, have the SME respond to Mr-Point-of-Contact's query,
have Mr-Point-of-Contact relay that response to me, have me determine
that that's not what I needed to know, have me go back to
Mr-Point-of-Contact, have Mr-Point-of-Contact go back to the SME with
the clarified request.... etc... and all of this with a day or two of
turnaround each time.

If I'm dealing with the SME (long distance and across 12 timezones), it
might still involve a day between each set of exchanges, but there are
only the two of us, with no middle-wo/man introducing an extra delay and
an extra opportunity for misunderstanding in each direction.

Andrew was right about the toll of conference calls when one party has
to stay late and the other party has to start early, on an ongoing
basis. It takes a toll, and the toll mounts, in ways both obvious and
insidious.

Never mind the missed details and the rework, what about the strain on
your group insurance because so many parties are overstressed?

Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList