RE: Thank You from new tech writer

Subject: RE: Thank You from new tech writer
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Bastette" <bastette -at- sonic -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:35:33 -0500

On Behalf Of Bastette observed:

> The woman who had my job before I was hired two years ago is Indian.
> I am still rewriting sections of the manuals that say things like,
> "Click the button 'OK' to confirm." I change this to "Click the OK
button
> to confirm". (I remove the quotes around "OK" and bold it instead.
> That's not a language issue, I just prefer bolding to quotes.)

For a well-educated Indian person raised with/in English, my bet is that
you (or somebody) could have done an editing pass ONE TIME, pointing out
your observation in the comments, and it would have been immediately
corrected and never appeared again.

> There are also many misuses of articles (articles used where there
> shouldn't be one, and missing articles where there should be one).
> Incorrect prepositions pop up occasionally, too.
>
> Her writing is clear enough to be understood, but it doesn't sound
like
> the English any American I know would speak. (Or, as far as I know,
like
> any other native-English speaker.)

These points are better support for the argument, I agree. In this case,
clearly the woman was rusty, or had a more colloquial education in
English - that might have been overcome-able with a quick brush-up... or
not. Either she'd quickly catch on if a few instances were pointed out
to her, or she's not really cut out to be doing English technical
writing. You and I will never know.
I've coached engineers and at least one Product Manager (who started as
an engineer at this company) and they've successfully gotten past some
oddities and bad habits in their written English. In all cases, they
just didn't realize that this-or-that written mannerism was
grammatically or otherwise jarring. Mostly, if the person has the basic
capability, it's just a matter of pointing out what's wrong and
explaining why it's wrong and why 'your' way is better. By the way, the
people I'm talking about in this case are Canadian-born native English
speakers. They didn't happen to be from India or anywhere else outside
these borders.

So, I guess I'm saying that the important qualification is not where
somebody comes from.

Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList