Re: Thank You from new tech writer

Subject: Re: Thank You from new tech writer
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:13:15 -0800

As a manager, I frequently send out congratulatory/acknowledgement
memos to key participants in projects, both in my own dept and in
others, with cc's to their immediate managers and upper management.
This is especially important when the project is one that someone way
up on the corporate food chain has been putting great emphasis on
during its life.

I don't generally counsel individual writers to perform the equivalent
of Oscar acceptance speeches for their own projects, but if they
tell me that someone has gone way beyond the normal expectations
to help them out of a jam, I will encourage them to take that person
out to lunch some day and expense it.

All of the above is, of course, the flip side of my encouraging
staff to be sufficiently tenacious during the run of a project to
send developers diving under desks whenever they see a tech
writer coming their way, and dropping by development
managers' offices to have a little chat when someone in their
group is not supporting the documentation according to plans
their managers have signed off on.

Gene Kim-Eng