Reading level guidelines for (translated) training material

Subject: Reading level guidelines for (translated) training material
From: jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (TECHWR)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:18:53 +0000

Good afternoon Whirlers,

After almost 4 years at my last spot, I'm just starting a new gig (wheee!) and I've got loads of questions. The first that comes to mind that y'all might be able to help with has to do with reading level guidelines.

I'm creating training material that will be presented with the assistance of a translator. That is, the presenter will be delivering in English and (at least some) of the attendees will be receiving the content in Chinese.

We are expecting a list of attendees in the next week or so. I'm trying to get the customer to supply as much information as possible, but I'm not yet sure what I'm going to get. Hopefully I'll soon learn whether any of the trainees will be English-speaking (and at what level). Once I have more information, I'll establish some standard reading-level guidelines for the material.

Lacking knowledge of anything more robust, I'm currently planning on using Word's readability statistics option as my tool. So I guess that's the next question. Once I have some kind of handle on what my audience's comprehension level is likely to be, are there more useful tools out there that I can use to guage the readability of the training material I'm producing?

Thanks in advance,
--
J. Paul Kent
206-383-0539