Re: Testing an index

Subject: Re: Testing an index
From: "Wanda Phillips" <wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:14:55 -0800

This could produce a starting point. We're already working on
something along that line.
So far I'm using some basics (and this is what I meant by consistent) such as:

The topics Fetal Echo Calculations gets the following index entries by default:

Calculations:Fetal Echo
Fetal Echo:Calculations
Echocardiography:Fetal Echo calculations

So, that far, I've got it covered.

Mostly what I'm wondering about is, what are people looking for in an
index when (in particular with online content) they can search?

Does a good online index translate to print?

These and other questions disturb my sleep.

Wanda

On 2/22/08, Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> See also this ancient post of mine for another index method:
> http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0101/techwhirl-0101-01418.html
>
> That does not produce an ideal index by a long shot, but it is an
> easily automated process and might show you something useful
> even if you only use it to help develop your real index.
>
> --
> Sandy Harris,
> Nanjing, China
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/wanda.jane%40gmail.com

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which
differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people
are even incapable of forming such opinions.
Albert Einstein

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList