Master Documents, sub-documents and Word introduced section breaks

Subject: Master Documents, sub-documents and Word introduced section breaks
From: "Tomlin, Liz" <Liz -dot- Tomlin -at- edfenergy -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:26:15 -0000

Dear Writers,

When creating a master document and then including documents as
sub-documents Word adds a continuous section break in the master
document before the sub document and a next page section break at the
end of and in the sub-document. The continuous breaks don't really
affect me but the next page ones are not what I want. However, have
years ago fought with master documents, I am nervous of removing the
break because of the default page break (the hidden one) - and it's a
nuisance since I have to open more than 100 documents to edit them.

Steve Hudson advises removing section breaks BUT it isn't clear to me
whiter he is advising not using them in documents because of the
tendency to introduce complexity OR that removing Word introduced
section breaks is OK.

So my questions I have are this:

a) does anyone have experience of removing this next page break section
break and did it cause any problems with the document(s)?
b) can I stop the behaviour and have Word leave the sub-document alone?

Before you ask... in this case I have to use sub-documents although I
would normally avoid them like the plague!
Also I do already only edit sub-documents in the sub-document itself and
NOT from the master.

Please note, I haven't used this forum before and am unclear how it
works, so I hope I done this the right way and I get replies.

thanks..... liz

regards

Liz Tomlin
Business Analysis, bpr, process engineering, organisational change,
facilitation, making it happen, personal & team development
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and may be protected by legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.
This e-mail has been scanned for malicious content but
the internet is inherently insecure and EDF Energy plc
cannot accept any liability for the integrity of this
message or its attachments. No employee or agent of EDF
Energy plc or any related company is authorised to
conclude any binding agreement on behalf of EDF Energy
plc or any related company by e-mail.

All e-mails sent and received by EDF Energy plc are
monitored to ensure compliance with the company's
information security policy. Executable and script
files are not permitted through the EDF Energy plc mail
gateway. EDF Energy does not accept or send mails above
30 Mb in size.

EDF Energy plc
Registered in England and Wales No. 2366852
Registered Office: 40 Grosvenor Place, London SW1X 7EN

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList