Re: Help me keep track of the time I spend writing, with meetings, and with Graphics.

Subject: Re: Help me keep track of the time I spend writing, with meetings, and with Graphics.
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:10:36 -0700

On Tuesday, January 29, 2008, Bill Swallow wrote:

> Start doing that now, and look at them retroactively, and compare them to
> the project schedule, and ask for a % complete on every outstanding task.
> Then do the math for him.

Sit down with the person and draw up a list of goals and expected
deadlines; e.g.:

Goal - (state the goal)
Action Plan - (one or more steps needed to realize the goal)
Target Date - (for the goal, and for each step, if required)
Completed Date - (when did it get done?)
Progress, Comments, Needed Resources -

(both of you could review the SMART method of setting goals --
plenty of info on the Intertoobs about that)

A goal can have one or more Action Plans (you might need to break
it down into steps). Do this for every project that this person has on
his plate, even if it's just one.

Also provide a space at the bottom of the goal sheet for "pop-ups" --
things that came up which hindered progress toward the goals.

Review this with the person and update on a regular basis -- weekly
would work best.

You have to be up front that there is an expectation, and from your
perspective that expectation isn't being met. Let him know that he
needs to help you understand where things are falling behind, so
you can help clear his path of obstacles if required. Yes, it is baby
sitting, but it sounds like you will have to help him meet his goals or
"cut the apron strings" so to speak. I suspect he will either step up to
the challenge, or make the decision easy on you and seek
employment elsewhere.

HTH,

Dana W.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList