Re: permalancers

Subject: Re: permalancers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:11:14 -0800

Speaking as someone who was trained as an engineer and is
now writing and managing other writers...

1. Writing is more fun (at least for me).
2. Engineers who write "well enough" *and think it's
more fun than engineering are relatively rare. I
am in much more demand as an engineer who
writes than as one who doesn't oras a writer with
no engineering background.

On the subject of "chunking," it is certainly possible and
practical to do that for a product line that will be in large
scale production or will consist of multiple variations on a
base design. You create the first document the hard way,
then use it as a template that others with less knowledge
can produce future variations from by "filling in the blanks."
I've done it. But if you work in a "skunkworks" environment
where you support multiple, bleeding edge one-offs with
new technologies and techniques being developed along
with the products, the documentation for each one can
often consist of that first "hard way" document, with no
future variations that will use that template again.

As for the expense of training an engineer to write vs
training a writer to understand the content as well as an
engineer, we don't do either. It is less expensive to pay
a little more for someone who already has both engineering
and writing knowledge than to train either. It does take a
little more effort to find someone like that, because the tech
world is full of engineers who can't or don't want to write
and writers who are "technical secretaries." But paying a
little more and putting in a little more recruiting effort
upfront is not a "failure of management" if it costs less
and reduces effort in the long run.

Gene Kim-Eng