Re: Overtime rules

Subject: Re: Overtime rules
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:41:39 -0800

In the state of CA, the employment statutes define
"insubordination" as the refusal to follow a "legal and
resonable instruction," and unemployment is only
denied in cases of "gross misconduct," which is
defined as an action that causes the employer to
suffer "significant injury or harm." Anytime the words
"reasonable" or "significant" rear their heads in a CA
employment dispute, that's usually a red flag that says,
"we're going to court." Given the relatively low cost
to the employer of the unemployment benefits vs.
defending against a suit and the equally low value of
unemployment benefits to a tech writer with a typical
salary in this state, the likely conclusion to this
scenario is the employer doesn't contest the
unemployement while the ex-employee scrambles
to get re-employed somewhere else as quickly as
possible.

Gene Kim-Eng