RE: employment law, overtime

Subject: RE: employment law, overtime
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>, "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:12:48 -0600

It's getting tougher to hire a "permalancer" all the time, due, in part,
to the Microsoft suit.

There are a number of companies, though that have a large number of
"part time" employees, which allows them to dodge benefit and salary
agreements they have with (typically, but not always, union) full
timers. UPS, FedEx, and almost all retail outfits operate like this.

I listen to NPR regularly, value it greatly, enjoy it immensely, but
they get things wrong as often the the for-profit news sector
(especially in the business arena).

While I would agree that permalancers and part timers don't get as good
a deal as they might otherwise, I'm not sure I would characterize the
practice as "underhanded." Anyone accepting such a position would likely
understand it, and agree to it. This is, of course, different than
reveling in it, I know.

Choices -- you always have choices.

Signed, a manager that understands the link between good, relatively
happy employees and the bottom line ;-}

rosberg