RE: Menus and Toolbars

Subject: RE: Menus and Toolbars
From: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:52:23 -0500

Ben asked about toolbar/menu references in documentation.

I find this useful sometimes, if there is a task or feature I know has
to be there somewhere. I scan the menu/toolbar doc list and sometimes
find it. It's also a de facto overview of the capabilities of the
program - albeit sometimes a misleading and superficial one.

Yes, truly complete and organized documentation would make such a thing
more accessible, probably through an index. Full text search can help
too.

But the toolbar/menu brief list can occasionally be a lifesaver when I'm
using an unfamiliar program.

Sure, users SHOULD need this only in context of a task. But having a
fast way to find it while I'm doing that task can be really helpful

- Jessica

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList