Re: TWs and Core Competencies (long)

Subject: Re: TWs and Core Competencies (long)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "jobs @ ProSpring" <jobs -at- prospring -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:00:16 -0800

There is a difference between saying you have
business analysis or information architecture skills
and calling yourself a business analyst or information
architect and applying for a position as one.

Most experienced technical writers have at one time
or another had to muddle through doing tasks that
would have been better assigned to someone with
more expertise in another field, and many of them
have probably gotten quite good at doing them. I
see no reason why writers who have done this
should not say so if they think it will enhance their
resumes. Personally, I prefer to leave these
"augmentations" unmentioned unless they come
up during an interview, as I have no desire
to do most of them again unless absolutely necessary.

Gene Kim-Eng