RE: Information Architect

Subject: RE: Information Architect
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Jim Barrow'" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:03:47 -0800

> From: Jim Barrow

> > One thread discussed whether the role of technical writer was a
> > part of a larger role of information architect, although most
> >jobs require education or experience in addition to technical
> >writing.
>
> Yes, and not necessarily. Most of the threads posted here
> have dealt with calling oneself a technical writer, which may
> lead some people to think that we are nothing more than data
> entry clerks, rather than skilled writers, analysts, GUI
> experts, etc. In trying to create a job title that
> encompasses the depth and breadth of what we do, Technical
> Communicator or Information Architect was suggested. In this
> thread I'm pointing out that IA has seemed to gain traction
> as someone who does the things we have been quietly doing all
> these years.

The archives do have lengthy discussions about Information Architects and
the comparisons between IAs and TWs.

Here's a discussion from August 2004,
http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0408/techwhirl-0408-00759.html

March 2001,
http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0103/techwhirl-0103-01116.html

April 2003,
http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0304/techwhirl-0304-01000.html

June 2007,
http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0706/techwhirl-0706-00021.html

> >My theory, as a contractor, is that recruiters may have a
> BA, IA, >or project support position that could warrant the
> hiring of a >person with a specialized role for those positions.
>
> Take a look at these Dice.com IA job descriptions. I'm not
> sure how this link will translate, so sort by Job Title, then
> go to page 39. The particular job that I was contacted about
> is from Aquent. See how many of the job descriptions match
> your skill set:
>
> http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?SORTDIR=3&N
> tx=mode+matchall&Ns=p_JobTitle|0&FRMT=0&QUICK=1&SORTSPEC=0&SEA
> RCH.y=6&SEARCH.x=46&N=0&Hf=0&Ntk=JobSearchRanking&NUM_PER_PAGE
> =30&op=300&LOCATION_OPTION=2&RADIUS=64.37376&DAYSBACK=30&FREE_
> TEXT=Information+Architect&No=1140

"Go to page 39"? Is it one of these 16 jobs? (A search for "information
architect aquent")

http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=300&LOCATION_OPTION=2&;
AREA_CODES=&ZIPCODE=&RADIUS=64.37376&COUNTRY=&METRO_AREA=&TRAVEL=&SORTSPEC=0
&FRMT=0&DAYSBACK=30&NUM_PER_PAGE=30&N=0&FREE_TEXT=Information+Architect+aque
nt&Ntx=mode+matchall&x=0&y=0

They all have similar job descriptions that are a little more involved than
just technical writing. I do have most of the skills mentioned, but I don't
think that my skill set is the product of being a technical writer. I
regularly learn new things, so my skills are broader than those required in
basic technical writer positions.

I think that most of us here possess more skills than those in a basic TW
description, but that does not necessarily mean that all TWs with additional
skills will be qualified for IA positions.

I also think that the role of Information Architect is still new and not
clearly defined, however the role of Technical Writer has been around
centuries or eons, if you consider the pre-biblical scribes technical
writers, which by modern definitions of technical writers, ancient scribes
could probably qualify for the position.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList