Tools: Mac Virtualization

Subject: Tools: Mac Virtualization
From: "Bryan Sherman" <bsherm -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:05:23 -0500

I know not everyone on this list documents software, or has to
purchase their own equipment, but I'm hoping to get some input on a
tools decision I have. I apologize to those that this does not apply
to, and I would be happy to take replies off-line and post a summary.

I recently drank the apple juice (as opposed to kool-aid) and
purchased a MacBook Pro to replace my Thinkpad. Most of my work is
still Windows based, so I am looking at the various solutions for
running Windows on a Macintosh. The options I am exploring are:

1. Bootcamp. (free and included)
2. Parallels.
3. VMWare Fusion.

I am leaning towards Fusion, but wanted to ask if anyone has a
solution they particularly enjoy, or any tips or watchouts.

That's the simple question, and my main concern.

In addition, my primary tools are:

1. MS Word
2. Adobe Design Premium (debating if I will cross-grade to Mac)
3. Visio

My issue with the cross-grade of Adobe is that I use Acrobat Pro a lot
to create bookmarked PDFs from Word, and I am not sure if that will
work Word for Win -> Acrobat Pro for Mac. But is seems silly to run
Windows versions of those apps on a Mac.

Finally, for those wondering why I would get a Mac given what I
outlined, and desiring to start a Mac/PC debate, I'll explain that:

1. As an itinerant tech writer, I wanted to expand my tool kit to
include Macs. Could pay off in the future for a contract.
2. The price difference now is pretty small, and if I launch in
Bootcamp, the MacBook Pro is one for the fastest Vista laptops.
3. Want to get into video, and was able to get a great deal on a
MacBook Pro with Final Cut Express.

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom....

Bryan

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList