Shopping by reading the manual (was: Post current product user docs to company website)

Subject: Shopping by reading the manual (was: Post current product user docs to company website)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:53:27 -0500

I haven't been following this closely (not my line of work these
days), but one related thought you might find interesting:

My wife is currently upgrading her computer and operating system, and
shopping for replacement software. She's a geek (having worked as a
programmer and understands Unix far better than I ever will), and is
quite at home mucking around with her operating system. She probably
has about 10 times as many utilities and system hacks running as I
do, and probably spends about 100 times as many hours poking and
prodding and tweaking her software.

It's enlightening to watch how she goes about the process of shopping
for new software. First, she does a bit of trolling in the software
review sites, looking for likely prospects. Next, she hits the
developer's site and checks out the features list to see which
options she can rule out from the start. So far, sounds like most of us.

The interesting part is what happens once she's got a few likely
candidates: she looks for good documentation. The docs, of course,
tell you not what the software is supposed to do (i.e., the features
list), but what it actually does and how well it does those things.
If the software seems promising but the docs suck, she generally
rules out that product, and may even download a lesser product that
she can learn how to use -- and how to customize to suit her needs --
quickly and painlessly.

As we say in the sciences, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
(I've often said it's anecdotage. <grin>) But it pays to remember
that some folks really do decide how good our product is by reading
the fine manual.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList