Re: Framemaker and RoboHelp

Subject: Re: Framemaker and RoboHelp
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:38:32 -0800

Pamela Denchfield wrote:
> Richard Combs wrote:
>
> "Pay no attention to comments related to earlier, non-suite versions of
> FM and RH -- they're not relevant to the suite, which offers the
> integration that makes single-sourcing possible (previous versions only
> permitted repurposing)."
>
> and...
>
> "if you're happy producing printed
> manuals using RH <shudder />, why is FM in the picture at all?"
>
> Richard, are you creating printed manuals using Adobe's suite?
>
> I don't have the suite but from the earlier-referenced review
> (http://www.writersua.com/articles/robohelp_7/index.html by Rob Houser),
> it appears that Adobe's suite produces printed manuals from RH with
> Word, not FrameMaker.
>
> Thanks,
> Pamela

The only germane part of the review
"RoboHelp and FrameMaker are still two separate tools with different
features and user interfaces. While the import of content is improving
from FrameMaker to RoboHelp, the content is still pushed from FrameMaker
to RoboHelp rather than allowing for shared content that is managed at a
higher project level or two-way product integration (pushing content
from RobHelp to FrameMaker). Tighter integration in the
future—especially the potential for content sharing—is probably the
single greatest potential that Adobe RoboHelp has in the marketplace
right now."

hammers home the fact that you author in Frame and push content where
you need it.
The review doesn't say to publish printed stuff from RH!
Unless you have a lot of content in RH, what's the problem?
If you do, unless it is real fancy, you can get it into Frame one way or
another- if only via Word.
regards
Jay

--