DITA Training? Conversions from custom XML application to DITA?

Subject: DITA Training? Conversions from custom XML application to DITA?
From: "Paul Nagai" <naglists -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:29:43 -0800

Hi,
Am looking for some DITA training, ideally suitable for someone well versed
in XML, chunking, information modeling, etc. Anyone aware of anything out
there for this audience?

Would anyone share opinions on Content Management Strategies as a conference
in general? Specifically for DITA information?
http://www.cm-strategies.com/

Same questions for DocTrain?
http://www.doctrain.com/

One challenge both of those conferences present is timing-related ... they
are in April and May. Ideally, I could find something in January or
February. (Now I'm getting really picky, but even better, it'd be located in
the SF Bay Area, Portland, or maybe Seattle. I guess online would be OK,
too.) The other challenge is that while I have a lot of interest in the
overall content of each of those conferences, my urgent need is in DITA
alone.

Also, is anyone aware of a resource detailing case studies of shops that
have converted from custom XML applications to DITA?

Finally, is there anyone here who has made this sort of conversion? Care to
share (online or off) your experiences?

I am interested in the presumed trade-offs between a custom application over
which you had great control but incurred high costs to a standard
application which didn't fit and couldn't be changed easily but that saved
money due to standard tools, sleeker requirements phases, trimmer design
phases, etc.

OR corrections to my obvious assumptions framing the question/s above.

Thanks.
--
Paul Nagai

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList