Retagging paragraphs in Word (was: MS Word screws up yet ANOTHER project)

Subject: Retagging paragraphs in Word (was: MS Word screws up yet ANOTHER project)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Kevin McLauchlan <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:10:32 -0500

Kevin McLauchlan notes: <<In the several years since we got bought, I
haven't started a single document in Word. It's all been docs that
I've inherited one way or t'other.>>

Sympathies. I have several hundred clients from all over the world at
this point, and every time I think I've seen the last possible way to
screw up a document, someone always surprises me. <grin> Mind you,
this isn't just Word. The same problems can be created in any
software. Ask me about the desktop publisher I used to work with many
years back...

<<The one or two that I did create, I did in OOo. If I needed to hand
off to anybody in modifiable form, I exported as .doc, and have had
no problems... but then I would have started off in OOo rigorously
using styles for everything. That's not the case with the inherited
docs.>>

Like me, you probably find each one a uniquely new and exciting
adventure. <grin> However, one useful trick that can solve tons of
problems is to export the file as HTML. No, really... that converts
most of the manual style overrides into tags, and you can easily
write a macro to strip out the problem tags and replace them and the
other tags with correct tages before you reimport the file into Word
or OO or whatever you use.

<<Regarding those inherited Word docs... y'know that dictum about
never attributing to malice what can be explained by simple
ignorance? Well I'm not entirely persuaded.>>

You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList